What do you think about when you think about wellness? For many, the term wellness can bring up many uncomfortable feelings due to the perception society has created over the last few decades around health. For some, they might think about sweating on machines or people wearing leotards for group exercise classes in an overcrowded fitness facility. For others, they may feel they need to eat only fruits and vegetables while giving up the foods they enjoy. Since the 1980’s revolution of group exercise and all the fad diets, the field of wellness, as well as the perception of it, has expanded drastically with new knowledge, tools and resources that can help us all live healthier and more vibrant lives.
At WellFit, we use the 8 dimensions of wellness model to look at all areas that make-up a person’s wellbeing. These areas of wellness include: Emotional, Financial, Social, Spiritual, Occupational, Physical, Intellectual and Environmental. Having an awareness of where we are currently at within each of these areas is a great starting place for our wellness journey to begin.
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration defines these areas below.
- Emotional—Coping effectively with life and creating satisfying relationships
- Environmental—Good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being
- Financial—Satisfaction with current and future financial situations
- Intellectual—Recognizing creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skills
- Occupational—Personal satisfaction and enrichment from one’s work
- Physical—Recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods, and sleep
- Social—Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and a well-developed support system
- Spiritual—Expanding a sense of purpose and meaning in life
We now know that these areas are not separate from each other but can overlap and carry over to other parts of our lives and impact us greatly. Thus, it is important to take the time to address each of these areas to help us create a healthy, balanced lifestyle.
Our WellFit team has used the 8 dimensions of wellness to impact thousands of people’s lives! Whether you are looking to relieve stress, increase energy, eat healthier, reach your fitness goal or improve your work/life balance, our WellFit team can help you reach your life goals.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. “The Eight Dimensions of Wellness” com, 30 Sept. 2015, https://www.samhsa.gov/wellness-initiative/eight-dimensions-wellness.